Kajaani, the green home of HPC
Reducing CO2 emissions is a globally critical target, to which the location of the EuroHPC machines have a huge impact, as supercomputers consume plenty of electricity. CSC’s data center in Kajaani has an abundant supply of low-price and environmentally-friendly renewable power. LUMI’s energy consumption will be covered with power produced 100% with hydroelectricity. The benefits of the location also include warm water cooling, which enables waste heat to be utilized in the district heating network of Kajaani, further reducing costs, and CO2 footprint. LUMI’s waste heat will account for about 20 percent of the district heating in the city of Kajaani and will substantially reduce the entire city’s carbon footprint.
The CSC Kajaani data center is highly scalable for large hardware installations and extensions or other potential infrastructure, making it ideal for building a sustainable data center ecosystem. The reliable and fast data communications networks of the data center are also designed for HPC. In addition, the area has a unique focus on data analytics thanks to the Kajaani University of Applied Sciences and numerous ICT companies.
Leveraging the location
Finland is one of the best locations for data centers since it has low operating costs, safe environmental and political conditions as well as extremely high security status. Here are some of the key factors that give Finland its competitive edge:
- Total electricity cost for industries is one of the lowest in Europe
- Pioneer in telecommunication and internet technologies
- Ranked as the most stable and sustainable country in the world
- Ranked as the safest place for data centers in the EU and 4th safest in the world
- One of the safest and most reliable environments for storing and processing data
- Finland and Kajaani are low-risk areas in terms of geographical, weather, political and man-made risks
Why is the CSC Kajaani data center an ideal place for supercomputers?
- Plenty of space: 2200 m2 reserved, scalable to 4600 m2
- 100% renewable, carbon-neutral energy is available up to 200 MW
- Very reliable power grid
- Free cooling is possible all year round
- Possibility to utilize waste heat generated by the equipment in the district heating network of Kajaani, this reduces total energy costs and CO2 emissions
- Highly capable telecommunication connections: the data center is part of the Nordic backbone network
- High security and safety standards
Promoting the European Green Deal
LUMI is built on world-class environmental sustainability and cost-efficiency. It helps the European ICT sector become greener and more cost-efficient, which is necessary to reach the EU’s ambitious climate targets and pave the way for the green transition.
With the smallest possible environmental burden and lowest cost for European taxpayers, LUMI is beyond compare.